Dark Harbor

Pages:  218

Year:  2016

Publisher:  Love Inspired Suspense

My rating is 5 stars.

I love these quick stories of suspense and intrigue!  They don’t waste any time getting right to the action!  This story is set in a picturesque town on the eastern seaboard of Maryland.  Police Chief Zach Davis and reporter Madelyn Sawyer are to the two main characters.

Madelyn has been sent to Waterman’s Reach to investigate Zach Davis.  Her editor tells her that this will be the story that will “make” her journalistic career.  Madelyn has turned her back on God after the death of her parents in a car accident where a policeman was chasing a criminal and rammed into her parents’ car, killing her parents instantly.  Madelyn has since focused on her career and not much else.  If she can prove Zach is involved with a drug ring, then she will have the story of a life time.  As she gets to know Zach, she waffles back and forth between believing him guilty and then innocent.  Before her investigation even begins, she is threatened and told to leave town.  As the threats increase in severity, she wonders if Zach is behind them.

Zach Davis is conducting an investigation of his own, trying to trace the origin of a drug ring that cost him everything when he was a cop in Baltimore.  The only thing that got him through that terrible time was in faith in God.  He now has a reporter on his hands who is being threatened and assaulted at least once a day.  He admires Madelyn’s spunk and courage in not being bullied into leaving town, but the attacks on her are becoming more and more dangerous.  Is a story for her company worth the cost of her life?  How far will Madelyn go to get a story?

I was hooked on this story from page one on!  Just when I thought nothing more could happen to Madelyn, she is subjected to yet another attack.  I was flipping the pages as quickly as possible so I could discover what would happen between Zach and Madelyn as well as to find out about the drug ring.  The chapters are short to encourage a brisk pace to the story.  I liked seeing Zach’s faith in action.