Guide Me Home

Pages:  352

Year:  2016

Publisher:  Waterbrook

My rating is 5 stars.

Kim Vogel Sawyer’s novels have delighted and entertained many people through the years.  I think one reason for such is her attention to detail, trying to be as true to history as she can while weaving a great tale.  Here the story involves people who come to Kentucky to tour Mammoth Cave in the early 1900s.  In the pages she shows us the heart of her characters even when they aren’t all that pretty and some can be downright nasty.  However, there is always hope that one of her fictional people will open up their heart to the message of salvation through Jesus and this novel shows us the ripple affect faith can bring to those near the person.

I loved how the story showed some sibling rivalry with one sister coveting what others had, believing that would make her happy and how the definition of “rich” can be redefined.  There are two classes at least who come to the mountains during the spring through the fall, the rich who expect the poor to provide for their needs as workers.  The one understanding of the era at the time of the story was the poor and rich class couldn’t mingle together or court the other.

Going back in time to see the generations of families still on the land is such a thought in a day and age where people are constantly on the move.  What would that have been like to be born, raised and buried on the land a family had to the 3rd or 4th generation?  In the novel, readers will get a glimpse as to how prejudices can be passed down unless the person makes a decision to no longer hold on to such thoughts or behavior towards another human being.

As always, I hope you will take time to enjoy this historical piece of work that will touch your heart, allow your imagination to soar and maybe even encourage others to read it as well!