Her Deadly Inheritance

Pages:  266

Year:  2016

Publisher:  Lighthouse of the Carolinas Publishing

My rating is 5+ stars.

This is a debut novel that surely is attention-grabbing from the first word till the very last one!  Beth delivers to us a tale of family strife, heartbreak and surprises.  On top of that, the main female character, Jill Shepherd, would rather stay in hiding and let the courts declare her legally dead than take possession of a house.  Why?  One reason is that Jill is very afraid of what she might find should she return and make herself known to an aunt who despises her and had despised her mother as well.  Another reason is that Jill isn’t sure she can find the courage to walk into the very house where her mother was said to have taken her own life.

Jill is now a Christian and she turns to her Bible with a heart wanting to do what God wants her to do.  She knows she doesn’t have the courage unless God provides it.  She is also burdened with a load of guilt and needs the Lord to tell her what to do in order to face the past squarely.  From the moment Jill lands on the island to show herself to the court as being alive, life will take many twists and turns for her.  There is something she hadn’t counted on though and that is falling in love with Clay Merrick; however, he has something in his past that he doesn’t want uncovered.

The moment I started reading this suspense-filled story I was hooked!  I couldn’t put the book down as the tension in the story was building, and while some mocked Jill’s faith there were surprises for those who came to know Christ as their Savior.  I loved how Beth showed a reflection of reality in the heart of her main character, Jill, when she wanted to know if her mother knew Jesus before her death.

I enjoyed the constant uncertainty as to who the real antagonist of the story was because there were some times I thought it was one character only to think it another a bit later in the story.  I thought the faith theme very strongly presented was so important in the novel as the characters faced their own mortality or just dealing with their life.  The ending was brilliant and a nice touch to include the kitten named Buttons.  I can only wonder if the author has a sequel in mind for this story or something brand new for readers to enjoy!  Either way, I plan on watching for whatever Beth offers to us in the future!