I Have Called You By Name

Title:  I Have Called You By Name (Tell of My Kingdom’s Glory #2)

Author:  Sonya Contreras

Pages:  335

Year:  2016

Publisher:  Bull Head Press

My rating is 5+ stars.

The series begins with the first book titled, Until My Name is Known by the same author.  Inside the novels we get a fictional account of the travels and tests of Moses along with the Israelite nation.  At first, when coming out of Egypt, they didn’t view themselves as a nation but former slaves.  Now, with the desert as the place their feet travel upon, Moses receives instructions from God and then tells the people what God has spoken.

As I read this second novel with the continuation of the story from book #1, the focus shifted more to how the people interacted with each other, Moses and God Himself.  The true story is told in the Bible in the Old Testament books of Exodus, Deuteronomy and Numbers.  I love how the author’s approach isn’t to replace Scripture, but to draw readers to know God, not about Him.  To know God is to be known by Him and that is a relationship He initiates.

There will be a third and final book to be published in this series with the title, I Am With You.  After I enjoyed the fictional tale, I then read the author’s notes along with perusing her extensive bibliography.  There is also a small dictionary in the back to explain some of the words used in the novel that aren’t familiar to us today.  One thing I kept reminding myself as I read was to not read it with American or English framework, but to attempt to understand the ancient history and the people who lived so long ago.

I cannot recommend these books highly enough along with reading the biblical account.  The Bible is without fault and what God has brought to us so many centuries later.  The Bible alone has the power to transform our thinking and lives.  We can learn so much about God, history and who we are as people created in His image.  I pray you take time to read the Old Testament books and the fictional tales written extremely well by Sonya for the purpose of making God known to this generation!