What Happened on Beale Street (Secrets of the South Mysteries #2)

Title:  What Happened on Beale Street (Secrets of the South Mysteries #2)

Author:  Mary Ellis

Pages:  352

Year:  2016

Publisher:  Harvest House Publishers

My rating is 4 stars.

Nicki Price receives a phone call from her best friend from high school, wanting her help.  What Nicki doesn’t realize is that her help is needed right away.  She decides to answer her friend’s request, but by the time she flies to see him she has trouble finding him.  She phones his sister and the search begins.  Nicki and Nate are hired by Isabelle Andre, the sister of the missing man.  Nate and Isabelle rub each other the wrong way and don’t get along.  Nicki pushes too hard on the investigation, getting herself thrown off the case.

With Nate now full-time on the Andre case, Nicki has nothing to do.  They are staying in a ritzy old hotel with lots of history so she takes a tour of the hotel.  While on tour she learns about a mystery concerning a series of scavenger hunts that took place in the mid to late 1950s.  The prizes for the winners of the scavenger hunt were expensive jewels.  The last scavenger hunt ended without the jewels being found, so Nicki thinks they are still in the hotel just waiting to be found.  She starts her own investigation to find the missing jewels.

I enjoyed the reading of this second book in the series more than the first book.  The characters of Nicki and Nate were more developed and I had a history with them carried over from book one in the series.  I really liked Nicki’s caring and compassionate nature, especially toward the elderly folks in this story.  I thought Nate a great guy with a sense of humor, loyalty and protectiveness toward those who are weaker.  I never saw his romantic line of the story coming and was surprised, but pleased.  I loved the jewel mystery that Nicki was involved in and the people she met while following the clues.  The next book in the series will be released in August 2016 and is titled Magnolia Moonlight.