The Heir of Brownlie Manor

Title:  The Heir of Brownlie Manor

Author:  Anita Stansfield

Pages:  288

Year:  2016

Publisher:  Covenant Communications, Inc.

My rating is 4 stars.

Ruth Dawson has left her employment as a servant in a well-to-do household.  She decided to do so after discovering the man who had promised her marriage has left town with another woman, leaving Ruth in desperate straits.  She appeals to her uncle for help as he has promised her family to help whenever possible.  Her uncle is a butler for Thomas Fitzbatten and his parents in the family manor house.  Her uncle brings to problem to Thomas who readily agrees to help Ruth.

Thomas has recently returned from war with Napoleon and longs to settle down to a quiet life on the family estate, but has terrible memories from the war that pursue him.  He is restless and longs to feel useful.  When his butler brings the problem of his niece to the attention of Thomas, he feels a new purpose for his life.  He prays about the situation and answers God’s call obediently to help Ruth more than she ever dreamed possible.

This is a wonderful love story that shows respect for one another, patience, compassion and much more.  There is also an intriguing mystery to keep readers interested.  Mysteries are one of my favorite genres along with historical fiction books set in the early 1800s, so I was pleased that this story had both elements and didn’t disappoint!  The commitment of the characters to their faith was one thing I especially liked.  I hope this author continues to write more novels set in this time period as I will be sure to read them!