The Gilded Curse

Pages:  258

Year:  2016

Publisher:  Heritage Beacon Fiction

My rating is 4 stars.

The setting is Jekyll Island, which is the home of the Millionaire’s Club and various homes used for those rich enough to get away during the winter.  Now, with the start of WWII, in order for the club to survive, the rules have changed and it is now opened to anyone.  Lexie Smithfield is the sole remaining family member returning to the island to get the home named Destiny ready for sale.  Before the Depression, Lexie’s family had wealth and socialized with elite families of similar class; however, now her life is so vastly different.

When she returns to the island, Lexie is reunited with a childhood friend who looks after her needs in many ways.  Russell couldn’t serve in the armed forces due to a hunting accident that left one foot permanently injured.  It seemed to Lexie that the curse her mother spoke about so often till her passing was becoming a reality in Lexie’s life too.  Someone is after whatever they believe she has in her possession, but Lexie knows it isn’t wealth.  So what is it?

In the novel, the family history is the main thread it seemed to me the more I read.  The author does a great job revealing that families may have secrets, and a history that showcases both good and bad choices with consequences.   Another thread is that no matter how long one turns their back on God or doesn’t talk to Him, He is there to welcome them home when they return to Him.

The ending reveals what Lexie’s father treasured most, and it is something that I believe will speak to readers’ hearts!  Plus, there is the reminder in the story of bonds forged many years ago that can be honored by the next generation.  Read the book and you’ll see what I am referring to.  Enjoy!