Almost Like Being in Love (A Destination Wedding Novel)

Title:  Almost Like Being in Love (A Destination Wedding Novel)

Author:  Beth K. Vogt

Pages:  384

Year:  2016

Publisher:  Howard Books

My rating is 5+ stars.

Have you ever read any of Beth’s novels?  With each one that I read, I find myself enjoying her stories more and more.  Almost Like Being in Love is very pulling on the heart as I found myself engaged in seeing if this tale would have a happy ending or if the author had other plans.

What sticks out most to me is the passionate message I saw throughout the book.  The message woven throughout the pages is about praying, waiting and listening for God to direct the steps of a character in the book.  Yet, it seemed to be that a couple of the main players in the book were learning that lesson and that the hardest part is waiting for God not just to make clear His direction, but also following through with what He directs.

The novel doesn’t have characters, personalities or lives all dressed and perfect; they are really mirrors of people in the real world.  People who are dealing with hard issues, past mistakes, repeated mistakes, and not evening knowing who they are apart from whomever they tied their identity to.  When two people date and consider marriage, in this novel are they doing it because they love each other and are willing to make the lifelong commitment before God?  Or are they just doing what their parents are expecting of them?

In her novel, Beth K. Vogt I think shows how we sometimes get upset when people speak truth to us. Even if we know it’s right, we don’t want to hear it.  The author did a great job showing how wrestling through various decisions and waiting on God can be at times gut-wrenching.  The ending I thought was very different and amazing, showing readers how right decisions aren’t always easy and some can come at a high cost.  All I can say is there is a magnificent story here as well as some truthful nuggets of wisdom tucked in the story.  I am so glad to have read it!