From This Moment

Pages:  352

Year:  2016

Publisher:  Bethany House Publishers

My rating is 4 stars.

Romulus White seems to have it all together.  He is handsome, has a sense of style and is the owner of a very successful scientific magazine.  However, just like all of us, what is on the outside hides the insecurities and vulnerabilities on the inside.  He has been after Stella West to join his magazine staff with her extraordinary artistic skills for over three years.  She has repeatedly turned him down, saying her future is in London.  Then, he discovers that she is in Boston working as a stenographer.  What made her leave London?

Stella West has come to Boston to find her sister’s murderer.  She has taken a job at the very place and in the very department where her sister worked.  Her sister, Gwendolyn, had discovered some dealing under the table and feared for her life.  She told one person of her findings, but Stella only has his initials.  Stella is fierce and determined in her search for the killer.  She just can’t believe her sister accidentally drowned as the medical examiner has determined.  She was an excellent swimmer and wouldn’t have drowned in only five feet of water.  In the course of her investigation, she has offended people with her aggressive manner.  She meets Romulus and realizes he has the connections she needs to further discover what happened to her sister.  In exchange, she agrees to do some work for his magazine.  The attraction between them sends sparks and the repartee between them clever and witty.

I found it interesting that this story had more of a mystery element than other past books by this author, which I enjoyed.  There was still romance present, but the mystery seemed to be more prominent.  I loved the interaction between Stella and Romulus.  They saw faults in each other as well as themselves and called each other out on them, but in a sarcastic or humorous manner.  Clyde and Evelyn and their relationship made for a good, solid sub story.  I would have liked for the faith element or faith journey to be more central to the story.  I did like the historical setting and the information about the first subway in the United States.  This is another well-done historical story from Elizabeth Camden.