There Will Be Stars

Pages:  416

Year:  2016

Publisher:  Thomas Nelson

My rating is 4 stars.

I have read most of the author’s novels to date with the exception of a couple.  In reading his stories, I have come to realize there is a spiritual message that may not be apparent or quickly seen until toward the end of the story.  Here is story that actually takes place a few years after the novel, In the Heart of the Dark Wood.  At first, it took me a while to remember just who some of the characters were and the story from the other book.

There is a flavor of mystery here when a character that is known as the town drunk, named Bobby Barnes, is in an accident and believes he is now in heaven.  Though Bobby is aware he doesn’t deserve to be there what catches him off guard is to be talking to other people from the town of Mattingly.  Plus Bobby sees his two young twin sons, talks to them and more, believing they are real and alive.  Yet are they?

So much more occurs in the book than I am really able to describe to you.  All I can really say is that it is a story worth taking time to read and enjoy.  At times I thought I knew exactly how the story was going to play out or how it was going to end, but the author sure likes to throw in twists and turns that bring a moment of pause to see how a scene will really develop.

From the first page till the end, the novel engaged all of me, and my heart was touched in various scenes sometimes causing me to react with anger at a character or sadness and even a laugh every now and again.  There is one use of a cuss word by town drunk Bobby Barnes though it is not the “f” bomb.  I was disappointed when a sexual scene occurred even though it isn’t in detail or described erotically, but to show how some people use others in this manner.  I wanted to let you be aware in case something like what I just described might bother you readers.  When I came upon it, at first it caught me off guard and in all honesty I would have liked to have not seen that in the novel at all.