The Progeny

Title:  The Progeny (Descendants of the House of Bathory #1)

Author:  Tosca Lee

Pages:  336

Year:  2016

Publisher:  Howard Books

My rating is 4 stars.

I read many books a year and for the first time in over the last 4 years I have been reviewing books of all kinds, this is the first review I wasn’t sure how to write.  The Progeny caused a lot of internal confusion for me as I read a book that included material I don’t agree should be in a Christian novel.  While the author never goes beyond a certain line when telling readers what the characters are doing, I got tired of it being repeated throughout the book.  What was the novel supposed to speak to the audience?  Was the book sci-fi, fantasy, or some other genre?

Emily Porter wakes up and can’t remember her name, but that’s okay as she eventually realizes that was the point of the procedure.  She has left herself a note to live a happy life and don’t search for answers as to why she chose to forget.  Her real name is Audra Ellison.  However, she soon discovers that even if she doesn’t want to remember, she needs her memory to survive because they have found her.  She really doesn’t know who they are other than that they want her out of the way…permanently.  Since she can’t remember why she chose to have her memory wiped clean, she also doesn’t know whom to trust.  This could get her into serious trouble; it could even get her killed.

As she is forced to go on the run, she needs help from someone who claims to be from her past.  She can’t run on her own so she is forced to trust Luka, but not completely.  Luka claims he used to know her before the procedure, but she of course doesn’t remember him.  Even though she doesn’t remember him, she is drawn to him.  She has left herself a few clues as a fail-safe, so she follows these clues to Croatia where she discovers more than she ever wanted to know.  She is a descendant of an alleged serial killer.  These descendants have been targeted by a group dedicated to wiping them all from the face of the earth.

When I started reading I felt I had to wade through so much along with being confused about what the point of the tale was to get to a brilliant conclusion.  There was not a theme where readers see the main character come to know God and the journey to get there.  In this story, I was left wondering if Audra even believed in God.  This is the first book in the series, but I’m not sure if I will read the next book or not.