Someone Like You

Pages:  352

Year:  2016

Publisher:  Bethany

My rating is 5+ stars.

How does a person describe a novel that tugs at the heart and soul of a reader with such depth of emotion?  It’s very refreshing to see Christian authors write stories that have their characters work through some tough issues as well as ordinary life experiences.  One of the best qualities of the story is how it reflects the redemption possible for anyone who has done anything they are ashamed of in life.  Another quality is how it shows love of such an infinite God who can do what we most definitely can’t foresee happening or even imagine it becoming a reality.

Here are two people, Zeke and Julia, who were once a couple in college and now years later meet again accidentally.  You’ll read about Julia who is a single mom, a young Christian, and an entrepreneur.  Zeke who Julia believes is still the strong and unshakeable Christian is now someone who looks like Zeke, but no longer seems himself.  In fact, his faith is fractured just like his heart.

As I read the book, there were times I had a lump in my throat as I would come across a scene where being able to be transparent with someone can be really hard or when someone is carrying a burden, just feeling like a total and complete failure and thinks that God feels the same way about them.  There is one antagonist in the book who really could have used a 2 x 4 upside the heart as he was awfully arrogant and self-centered as I am sure the author intended.

I anticipate many will be touched and drawn to the book at least that is my hope.  Be prepared to be pointed to God whose love never fails and who wants us regardless of what we think will keep Him from wanting us.  What a truth to treasure!