Murder Comes by Mail (A Hidden Springs Mystery #2)

Title:  Murder Comes by Mail (A Hidden Springs Mystery #2)

Author:  A.H. Gabhart

Pages:  352

Year:  2016

Publisher:  Revell

My rating is 5 stars.

Michael Keane is a deputy sheriff in the small town of Hidden Springs.  He likes the small town life and was happy to return home after a few years serving on a big city police force.  Not much happens in Hidden Springs and that is why the love of his life, Alexandria Sheridan, has moved on to bigger things like being a power attorney for a law firm in Washington, D.C.  She can’t understand why Michael doesn’t push himself to climb the ladder of success.  While Michael longs for a life with Alexandria or Alex, he is afraid to pursue a relationship with her because he can’t see either of them giving up their current lifestyles.

However, Michael’s life is changed the day he drives the church bus onto a bridge and sees a man about to jump to his death.  Michael is driving his aunt’s Sunday School class to see a play in a nearby town.  Michael saves the man and is proclaimed a hero.  He doesn’t like all the hero worship.  The man he rescues tells Michael he will wished he had pushed him to his death, which continues to bother Michael.  There is something just not right about this man.  Then, pictures and a note arrive at the police station addressed to Michael of a murdered girl.  A killer begins a killing spree that Michael is desperate to stop.

I read the first book in the series, Murder at the Courthouse, and found it to be okay.  I always try to give authors/series at least two books to engage me.  I’m so glad I did as this second book in the series I found to be much better.  I was in the thick of things from beginning to end.  I got to know the characters better and felt an affinity for them.  While I did figure out the culprit, I still liked the story and was sorry to see it end.  I now am greatly looking forward to book three in the series and a chapter is included at the end of the book as a teaser to whet readers’ appetites.  If you are a mystery lover, then you will want to read this story.  I would recommend beginning with book one as it gives the background history on several of the characters that also appear in book two.