The Quieting (The Bishop’s Family #2)

Title:  The Quieting (The Bishop’s Family #2)

Author:  Suzanne Woods Fisher

Pages:  352

Year: 2016

Publisher:  Revell

My rating is 5 stars.

Book #1 of the series is titled The Imposter written by the same author.  In book two the characters are continued as well as the story line introduced in The Imposter.  For example the current bishop who switched the pieces of paper for the next bishop to be chosen did so to make sure he was “chosen”. Freeman Glick continues to throw accusations against the minister David and others without repenting of what he did which puts the congregation on a path of possibly choosing to use church discipline.

David who is the minister and owns a store is a widower raising his younger children by himself along with help from the oldest child still living at home.  His daughter Katrina is still living with an older woman caring for her and recently became her heir of her land when she passes on.  Jesse is now handling the repair of buggies by himself and living above his work shop away from home.

With occurrences of mischief in the small community, the church in a precarious position David’s mother and two nieces come from Ohio to “help”.  I rather enjoyed how Abigail was created to be someone who loved ancestry and helping others with their family tree.  Her father is suffering from depression and is sent to her Uncle David’s in order to forge her own path for the future which at first is not something Abigail care to do.

There is some normal family tension and other happenings that to me seem very real in the minister’s home.  I enjoyed reading how David try to help others understand that while they are leaders they are still men who fail at times.  It was refreshing to see how David loved to read and study the Scripture and how his world became bigger when he begins to realize he is falling in love with a local woman who brings a refreshing perspective to his home.

I hope the third novel comes out this fall or shortly in the winter of next year as I want to see how the author brings some plot lines to conclusion or continues the series.