The Magnolia Duchess (Gulf Coast Chronicles #3)

Title:  The Magnolia Duchess (Gulf Coast Chronicles #3)

Author:  Beth White

Pages:  352

Year:  2016

Publisher:  Revell

My rating is 4 stars.

Charlie Kincaid and Fiona Lanier are reunited in a most unusual manner.  Charlie washed up on the shore near Mobile with his memory gone.  Fiona immediately recognizes Charlie, but he doesn’t remember her at first.  Fiona had a crush on Charlie when they first met years ago at his grandfather’s estate in Britain.  She soon realizes that Charlie holds a position in the British Navy, but is he a spy sent to Mobile to gain information about America’s armed forces?  Fiona is impulsive, loyal, beautiful and driving Charlie crazy!  He loses his heart to her almost immediately, even as his memory returns and his mission comes back into focus.  Fiona thinks Charlie has always had a little piece of her heart since meeting him and now he has all of her heart, but how can there be a future for them when they are on opposing sides of a war?  Along with Fiona’s romance, her cousins Maddy and Sehoy also have matters of the heart to settle during this difficult time of war.

For me, there were too many couples and romances to keep track of in the story.  There were three couples, and the story switched back and forth between the relationships.  I also thought the chapters were too long and kind of bogged down the story.  I really liked the setting of the story and found this aspect of the war with Britain very interesting.  I also liked the reliance on God Fiona and Charlie found when they faced difficult situations.  It was evident the author had done her research on this topic and wove a good fictional story from factual information.