Lead Me Home

Pages:  384

Year:  2016

Publisher:  Tyndale

My rating is 5 stars.

I began reading this author’s books when I first read How Sweet the Sound followed by Then Sings My Soul and now Lead Me Home.  Each is a title of a hymn and each novel contains a heartfelt story that can be read as stand-alone books.  I started this book in the early evening and read all the way to the end because my heart was lost in the story; I was so engrossed at times I felt as if my heart was in my throat.

One reason I think the novel is outstanding is the point being made of how the church or Body of Christ is people not buildings.  Buildings come and go, but Christ doesn’t reside there; He resides in the heart of His people.  The second reason is a reminder that pastors are people too who have struggles just like any other human being on the planet.  Some of the characters made me laugh at the complaints they brought before the pastor that were so absurd I burst out laughing!  A third reason is the focus on butterflies of a particular kind that you’ll discover when you read the book.

There were times when reading I felt the emotions being presented in a particular scene.  Sometimes I would be awed by how a young man with special needs could sense what was needed without words.  What starts out the book is a tragedy that happened in the pastor’s past, yet still affects his present including raising a daughter who still is grieving too.

Here is a very moving tale that reminds us of what is really important and what at times tends to distract us from following God.  Will the main families learn to be content with where God has them or still strive for what they believe are greener pastures?  Hope, love, grace, redemption and more are just a few of the themes woven in this wonderful novel.  I hope you read Amy’s novels because each is unique just like the hymn’s title.