Broken Ground

Pages:  336

Year:  2016

Publisher:  Howard

My rating is 5 stars.

When you read the synopsis, it might appear as if the novel would focus on the Dust Bowl in Texas, but it really is about one central character named Ruth.  Ruth at one time was married to her childhood sweetheart, finding joy even amid very harsh elements and times.  When life throws her into turmoil, she is forced to return home with her parents.  Ruth’s father is a very dominant and devious man who cares not one whit for Ruth.

Ruth’s solace is the local library where she can read, learn as well as learning from the head librarian herself.  When Ruth gets an opportunity to go to college, she goes until that too is ripped away from her.  Through all her trials it seems as though Ruth matures and embraces life again after her grief lifts.

Ruth’s father and his church put forth a very rigid religion that makes life difficult for Ruth.  Finally, Ruth ends up in a place where her heart begins to grasp both the good and evil that happens in this world.  I really found the tale taking me places in my imagination I had no idea it would go or think about such things such as rounding up people of certain ethnicity and deporting them whether they were citizens of America or not.

The ending was very touching as was the whole story.  I am not sure one can read a novel such as this and not be left thinking of our nation’s history and the acts of that time as ordered by the President.  I grew to dislike a lot of the farm owners in the way they used people and discarded them without any care whatsoever.  In the end, I think the point I came away with is to face life head on as running away doesn’t change a thing.  The other point I came away with is the peace and hope in a relationship with the Lord can bring us nothing else the world might.