A Dream of Miracles

Title:  A Dream of Miracles (An Amish Wonders Novel #3)

Author:  Ruth Reid

Pages:  352

Year:  2016

Publisher:  Thomas Nelson

My rating is 5 stars.

Mattie is a young widowed woman with two young children to raise without her husband who died of an illness.  Now Mattie is having a rough time even with all the help the community is offering along with working on her herb and honey business.  When her oldest son, who is three, gets severely sick the case baffles the doctors so much their original diagnosis calls in CPS workers.  In a short amount of time, Mattie loses her kids to the system and she is arrested.

While that is happening, Bo, the case worker, is trying to help her through the hoops and closing out the case because a more viable diagnosis comes to the doctor’s attention.  Just as she starts to get her life back to normal literally her whole world collapses again and this time it is a grave matter.

What comes to light about Bo’s past, I cannot share because it would spoil the enjoyment for readers to know.  All I can say is WOW!  The strength of Mattie’s character is under the microscope of strangers, and her faith is wobbly as is her health.  Bo is not the enemy she thinks he is at first.  In fact, he becomes more entangled with Mattie’s life including their hearts.

Ruth Reid writes novels that are clean, suspense filled and realistic in what some of the Amish like Englishers have to deal with in the world.  The author makes them seem like real people and doesn’t elevate them to unrealistic status nor do her stories make their life seem better than someone else’s.  I appreciate that quality in Amish books as sometimes the Amish or Mennonite people are lifted up to be looked upon as almost godlike status instead of the flesh and blood that they are.

I hope you read all three novels in the series:  A Miracle of Hope, A Woodland Miracle and finally A Dream of Miracles.  Each will grab your attention from start to finish along with tugging on your heart strngs!