Don Brown's JAG Novel: Code 13

Title:  Code 13 (The Navy Jag Series)

Author:  Don Brown

Pages:  400

Year:  2016

Publisher:  Zondervan

My rating is 5+ stars.

Sometimes when reading other reviews after I finish the novel myself can be confusing, exasperating or fun.  Don Brown’s latest novel for me was par excellence!  Don’s personal knowledge and experiences while in the Navy show through each novel as well as his understanding of events of the past or present.  In Code 13, expect to become engaged and staying there once you start the book.

I admire those who served and serve in the military and I enjoy suspense novels, which are just two of the elements in Code 13.  As I read I continued to wonder if how the Pentagon was described in the story was in any way reflective of how the building really is or was.  The part of the novel that is central to the book is how a JAG brief will be written in support for or against the use of drones over land 100 miles inside America.  I wish I could know what elements of the Constitutional areas in contention in the JAG office actually are real and what elements are not.  There were parts of the story that brought a lump in my throat and occasionally I would laugh at how Don had one or two of the characters talk about something.

The brief has to deal with the possible ramifications of the 4th Amendment.  While that makes for an interesting tidbit, there are also two opposing parties who desire different outcomes of the brief.  When I got towards the end of the novel, I was amazed at how it was shaping up to conclude.  I never saw the final twist in the plot, which took my breath away!

My condolences to the author who was working on the novel when his mother passed away; I love how he dedicates the novel in her memory.  If you’re looking for a suspense-filled, blood-pumping, action-filled novel, look no further because here it is!  I wonder what the author has up his sleeve for the next JAG thriller.