The Sea Keeper’s Daughters (A Carolina Heirloom Novel)

Title:  The Sea Keeper’s Daughters (A Carolina Heirloom Novel)

Author:  Lisa Wingate

Pages:  448

Year:  2015

Publisher:  Tyndale

My rating is 5+ stars.

The Seakeeper’s Daughter is a finely tuned tale that mixes mystery, history, faith and mankind’s propensity for prejudice.  The story flashback takes readers into the stock market crash impact upon family members and those who chose a way to deal with the hopelessness they felt deeply.  There is also a woman, Whitney Moore, who owns a restaurant in Michigan.  She travels south to care for her stepfather, who is at odds with her and begins deciding what to do with her grandmother’s inheritance.

While that sounds easy to make decisions about “stuff”, it is in going through all that is left behind and uncovering a secret long buried.  Additionally, Whitney has issues in Michigan regarding her restaurants and feels pushed to sell the land along with an ancient hotel by a man who cares nothing for preserving historic sites.

Lisa Wingate has crafted a very compelling story of humanity that reveals both the good and the evil that people can do to others by accident or on purpose.  Whitney is also dealing with her own insecurities since her father committed suicide.  However, her character isn’t the only one who makes decisions based on experiences as audiences will soon discover.

Frankly, I was immersed in the book for hours as the further I went into the story the more my heart was touched.  Learning about the Depression’s far-reaching affects into how people viewed others if they weren’t Caucasian and some viewed those as taking jobs away from white people.  Such an eye-opening tale based on the stories and pictures that show us much and in a way shames us too.

Then, the final theme of legacy not just the material objects but more importantly being honest about family bloodlines,  faith and revealing what is most important of all which is mankind.  How will we be remembered for how we have treated others or not taken care of other people?  I hope and pray the legacy I leave behind is one of faith and one which values people more than things!