Sedahlia

Pages:  464

Year:  2015

Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

Publisher:  Booklocker.com

Note:  I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book from www.bookfun.org  The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility.

The one reason I was drawn to this book was due to the setting of life after the Civil War for both slave and free in Texas and Georgia.  I think the author’s attempt to help readers understand possible life situations for people after the war is lost in all the sexual content in the story.  There isn’t any spiritual content or focus in any characters, which I found disappointing.  As I have read many Civil War books, both fiction and nonfiction, spirituality was very much a part of life whether slave or free so it’s a shame the author missed that aspect of life.

The focus is on a family for three generations which is a neat quality of the novel.  I wouldn’t be surprised that life in the south as described for the most part it was true.  However, it isn’t something to be proud of or promoted whether in fiction or nonfiction.  I believe the author’s intent was to show the hard reality of life in the setting, but for me it went beyond a point where what is sexually described or hinted at ruined the story.  I hope the author writes again as she shows a lot of promise in her writing, but excludes the sexual material from this point forward.