Jubilee’s Journey (Wyattsville Series #2)

Title:  Jubilee’s Journey (Wyattsville Series #2)

Author:  Bette Lee Crosby

Pages:  300

Year:  2013

Publisher:  Bent Pine Publishing

My rating is 4-1/2 stars.

When you look up the novel to purchase and read, you might notice that there is a prior book titled, Spare Change.  According to the author, if you’re going to read Passing through Perfect, which is the 3rd book in the series, it is important to read the 2nd book first.  I was reminded when I started Spare Change that some novels just aren’t conducive to a reader.  However, that doesn’t mean all books by that author aren’t worth reading as I discovered.

If you remember Loretta Lynn along with the movie that gave fans a glimpse into her life, A Coal Miner’s Daughter released in 1988, you’re going to enjoy Jubilee’s Journey.  I did because it starts with the opening scene of two people falling in love (Benjamin & Ruth) and then due to life events beyond their control the father works in a coal mine.  Benjamin promised his father he wouldn’t follow in his steps, but events forced on him brought about doing the exact opposite.

First the children, Paul and Jubilee, lose their mom but not before she extracts a promise from Paul.  Then, years later their father is killed in a mining accident and years before that Paul’s father made him promise not to go into the mine.  Now Paul is faced with either breaking his promise or having to leave the cabin because it belongs to the mining company.  Paul packs up some precious items and holding his sister’s hand begins a journey with nothing being certain.

The author then throws in a life-changing event that sets both Paul and Jubilee on a difficult journey.  The tale is a very heart-gripping one along with a suspenseful thread woven in the book.  If you look at the picture of the little girl on cover, I wouldn’t be surprised if you found her to be just a cutie like I did!  Then, reading the tale with that picture of her in your mind really draws you further into the happenings that bring both joy and sorrow but overall hope.  Out of the disasters in life or even setbacks we don’t always know or see how God can bring forth good, but He does as you’ll read Jubilee’s Journey.

While there are no sexual descriptions or innuendoes anywhere in the book, there are sprinkled in the pages a cuss word here or there.  However, I didn’t let that distract me from the story as a whole.  I hope authors continue to understand and perhaps write books that are free from these words because the story stands brightly without them!