Snow Out of Season

Pages:  288

Year:  2015

Publisher:  Mountainview Books

My rating is 5 stars.

What an original, confusing, suspenseful and heart-rending novel!  Wondering what it’s about or why I describe the novel as I do?  Well, it’s a story about two pregnant women in different stages of life.  One is a teenager in 1979 while the other lives in 2014 and their stories seem as different as night and day.  However, they both have at least one other thing in common other than being pregnant and that is both women have known deep heartache.

What is apparent in the beginning of the book such as the plot or theme of the book becomes quite apparent at the end.  The novel is a heart-gripping story that explores themes such as problematic pregnancy and teenage pregnancy with at least a point of view of how it affects the teenager.

This is one of the most different types of stories I have ever read in my life.  While not understanding it, there seemed to be a constant pull for me to go deeper and farther into the book.  My heart was engaged at times; it hurt for what the character was feeling and at other times it was joyous.  While the pregnant teen had friends with one wanting her to get an abortion, another wants to let family adopt it or are there other options?

Continuously going between 1979 and 2014 the author keeps the audience wondering what is the tie between these two pregnant women?  Or is there one?  What is the point of the book?  Whatever you do, read and be touched by the dramatic story written with so much heart it’s amazing.  Having read it, I can now understand why it was an award winner.  You definitely won’t be the same person when you’re done as when you started.  I loved the story and sure hope you do as well!