The Rules in Rome

Pages:  304

Year:  2015

Publisher:  Covenant

My rating is 4 stars.

I am a fan of novels set during the WWII timeframe.  A. L. Soward has written a story that draws readers in by using espionage, spying, and codes for transmitting reports to the Allies about what was happening in enemy territory.   There is a romance building between the lead male and female characters that is constantly being played down by them so that they can focus on their assignments.

In a way, it was easy to enter the imagination of the writer because she aptly describes the scenes with detail.  Both Bastian Ley posing as a German Officer and Gracie Begni as a radio transmitter begin finding it difficult to stay in character as different people as they are continuously drawn towards each other.  There is always danger of being found with the radio and codes or turned in by someone who is really a German spy which adds the tension element to the tale.

For me, I would have preferred more action scenes than are included in the story, but that is a personal opinion.  I believe people would enjoy reading the spy novel to see how these two people especially get their roles played out without reverting to their true selves.  I think Gracie knowing her job as a transmitter without any undercover experience, making her dependent of her male counterpart was a stroke of genius on the author’s part.

The other element the author added that brings what happens later in the novel to the forefront is the history Bastian had before going under cover with another agent.  I cannot wait to see what new adventure A. L. Soward brings for readers to live out in our imagination through her next novel!