My Brother's Crown

Title:  My Brother’s Crown (Cousins of the Dove #1)

Author:  Mindy Starns Clark and Leslie Gould

Pages:  358

Year:  2015

Publisher:  Harvest House Publishers

Renee Talbot is a brilliant scientist whose family has held a rare document for generations.  Now, with her grandfather’s recent death, the family abides by his wishes and contacts the Smithsonian to donate the document.  The document is a pamphlet written by French Huguenots for persecuted Huguenots to flee the country via hidden messages in poems and maps hidden in drawings.  Renee also discovers some hidden symbols, but is unsure if they have any meaning or not.  Blake Keller has been given the job of making sure the document stays safe and secure until handed over to the Smithsonian.  He helps Renee decode the hidden symbols as well as put an event in the past into perspective.

Catherine Gillet is a French Huguenot in 1685 under the reign of King Louis XIV, the Sun King.  He has begun countrywide persecution of Huguenots, sending dragoons to hassle them, stealing their homes, burning their churches and even torturing and killing them all in an attempt to get the Huguenots to convert to Catholicism.  As Catherine and her family face more and more persecution, she begins to doubt her brother’s faith as well as wondering why he refuses to leave France and flee to safety in another country.  Her fiancé, Pierre Talbot, also seems to blindly follow whatever her brother says, which serves to frustrate Catherine further.  What will it take to get her brother to move their family to safety?  Who has turned traitor and begun turning Huguenots over to the dragoons for profit?

I liked the switching back and forth of the chapters from modern time to the past.  I thought the authors did a good job of keeping the flow of the story cohesive with this technique.  Blake and Renee are my favorite characters.  I could easily relate to Renee’s struggle with how she viewed herself, especially when she compared herself to her cousins.  Blake was such a compassionate and caring man right off the bat in his dealings with Renee that he won my admiration.  I thought the character of Jules was cold and unfeeling, even though he had his family’s best interest in mind when making decisions.  Catherine seemed at times to be spoiled and immature, but she did have a caring heart for her cousin and matured some toward the end, placing her trust in God.  I also enjoyed reading about the Huguenots, a people whom I knew next to nothing about.  I look forward to book two in the series, My Sister’s Prayer.

My rating is 4 stars.

Disclosure of Material Connection:  The above is my personal opinion.  I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”