Love at First Note

Title:  Love at First Note

Author:  Jenny Proctor

Pages:

Year:  2016

Publisher:  Covenant Communications, Inc.

Emma Hill is a concert violinist who has left a fairly prominent job in Cleveland to return home to help take care of her mother who has MS.  She now gives music lessons and plays part-time with the local symphony.  She has no prospects on the dating scene, but that doesn’t stop everyone from trying to set her up with nephews, grandsons, brothers, etc.  Then, a new neighbor moves in across the hall.  He happens to be a famous pianist, young and single.  Emma thinks he is gorgeous, but usually gets tongue tied when first meeting a man.  She holds true to form and embarrasses herself.  She vows to avoid this man at all costs to prevent further mortification on her part.

Elliott Hart has moved from L.A. to work on his upcoming album.  He has writer’s/composer’s block and needs to get away from the fast pace of a big city to concentrate.  He needs no distractions and his next door neighbor will not be one in his mind.  However, he hears her playing her violin through the wall of his apartment.  He spends more time with her and they share their love of music with each other.  Elliott realizes she might be just what he needs.  However, a relationship between them will not come without a cost.  Elliott is famous and newsworthy so the press invades his privacy.  Emma doesn’t like to be the center of attention.  Will Emma be able to handle Elliott’s fame?

I am not a musician, but I could definitely relate to the emotions evoked by certain types of music or certain songs.  That was one thing I really liked about this story.  The romance was great and I loved the sense of humor of the characters.  I laughed out loud a few times and said a few “that is so true!” phrases right along with a comment in the story.  I liked the thread of Emma dealing with her mother’s illness and her teenage sister’s attitude.  Just a side note to readers that this is published by a Mormon company and there is some Mormon terminology in the story, but nothing confusing or preachy in the least.  I am not Mormon and this didn’t decrease my enjoyment of the story at all.  I will definitely be reading more of this author’s fiction as this book was just fabulous!

My rating is 5 stars.