The Goodbye Bride (A Summer Harbor Novel #2)

Title:  The Goodbye Bride (A Summer Harbor Novel #2)

Author:  Denise Hunter

Pages:  336

Year:  2016

Publisher:  Thomas Nelson

My rating is 5 stars.

The Callahan brothers are in a pickle with the ladies.  Mainly, it is Zach who is still in love with Lucy though she left seven months earlier.  Zac was really brokenhearted when out of the blue Lucy calls and asks him to come get her like it was just yesterday.  Lucy woke up in a wedding dress, with a lump on her skull in a totally different state than where Zac was living.  Problem was the last seven months she has no clue what happened and doesn’t even remember being engaged to a man named Brad.  Zac doesn’t want to go through that heartache again so he distances himself from her.  Beau, his older brother, was miffed that Zac went to rescue her.  When his brother serving overseas found out, he was beside himself with frustration as well.

The series begins in the first book, Falling Like Snowflakes.  For readers to truly appreciate the ongoing saga of the brothers it does help to read book one before book two.  I loved how the author shared with her readers some more of the various characters pasts to help us understand why they are the way they are.  Right now Lucy is on her own journey to try and live without remembering seven months of her life, starting over in a small town where everybody knows your business and she has no job or money.

There are a couple funny parts in the story that will cause you to chuckle I hope as it did me.  I love how going through healing from past hurts with God in prayer and a community of believers is represented.  I think one truth that could have been more prominent is the need to seek counsel from the Word of God, which wasn’t evident in the book.  However, the way God pursues us and loves us is a clear theme in the story.  Plus, the passion that can be real in a marriage is directly correlated to how open we are with God letting Him touch our hearts, minds and souls even when at times it is painful.  Even when it looks like it or feels like it, the truth is that God will never leave us or abandon us, which is a foundational truth portrayed in this series.

I hope you grab these enjoyable novels and allow the truths of God to soak your heart and soul, and enjoy the moments of laughter too!