Annabelle Lee

Title:  Annabel Lee (A Coffey & Hill Novel #1)

Author:  Mike Nappa

Pages:  368

Year:  2016

Publisher:  Revell

Trudi Coffey is a private detective, running her own agency after graduating college with an English Literature degree and a love for Edgar Allan Poe writings.  She used to be partners, running the business with her ex-husband, Samuel Hill.  Trudi is still struggling with forgiveness as she is a Christian; she also struggles with still loving Samuel even after he betrayed her so terribly.  Then, an older gentleman comes into the office looking for an old friend of Samuel’s, Leonard Truckson.  Trudi contacts Samuel and the mystery begins with Trudi and Samuel back together at least for the duration of this investigation, searching for two valuable emeralds Truck allegedly stole.  Their lives are at risk as they get closer and closer to the truth.

Annabel Truckson is eleven years old and lives with her uncle known as Uncle Truck.  They live on a farm in the middle of nowhere in Alabama.  There are guards around the property and a vicious German shepherd that scares the daylights out of Annabel.  Annabel doesn’t go to school, but is taught by Uncle Truck.  They are both fans of Edgar Allan Poe.  One early morning Uncle Truck comes into her room and tells her to get up and get dressed quickly.  They run to the dog pen where Uncle Truck pushes the dog house aside to reveal a metal door underneath.  The door leads to a tunnel that leads to a safe room.  He brings the dog and Annabel inside, instructing her not to open the door for anyone, including him, unless they say the safe phrase.  The dog is instructed to protect Annabel.  Over the next several days, she loses track of time and spends her time reading and translating a journal written in German.  She tries not to go crazy, being locked up with no other people or way to contact anyone.  She also wonders why Uncle Truck would leave her a Bible and when he is going to come and let her out.  She begins to think about God and if He is real or not.  She knows she will have to make a decision about that soon.

Annabel is a treasure!  I just loved that little girl!  She is so smart and funny.  She also has wisdom.  I also liked Trudi.  She is a strong woman, but is still hurting and vulnerable emotionally in regards to her ex-husband.  The characters where realistic and I could easily feel their emotions.  I was invested in the story and couldn’t put it down until I knew the fate of all involved.  There is plenty of action, tension and suspense in this story.  I’ve already got September 13, 2016 marked on my calendar so I can get book two in the series, The Raven.  Don’t miss this one!!

My rating is 5 stars.