A Sweet Misfortune (Virtues and Vices of the Old West #2)

Title:  A Sweet Misfortune (Virtues and Vices of the Old West #2)

Author:  Maggie Brendan

Pages:  336

Year:  2016

Publisher:  Revell

John McIntyre is intent on increasing the size of his ranch through buying land and cattle.  He has no time to deal with his friend’s wayward sister, but feels compelled to help him out after he receives a letter from his friend.  His friend’s sister, Rachel, is working as a dance hall girl at the town saloon and her brother fears for her reputation.  John rides to town and takes Rachel to his ranch where he lives with his grandmother.  He feels protective of her, but has his eye on a nearby wealthy young lady for courting purposes not a dance hall girl.  He discovers there is much more to Rachel than just a dance hall girl; she is caring, compassionate and puts the needs of others before her own.

Rachel Matthews desperately needed a way to support herself after her brother leaves to try to find gold to buy back the family ranch after their parents’ deaths.  Rachel only knows cattle ranching, so she decides to work as a dance hall girl to support herself.  She has no other options.  After John forcibly takes her from the dance hall, she begins to realize she is better off at his ranch and working at his grandmother’s millinery shop.  She enjoys her job and has three suitors; however, none of them make her heart speed up like it does when John is around.

I just so appreciated the three main characters in the story constantly pointing to God for their blessings in every situation.  Their reliance on prayer and God’s provision was evident throughout the story and I liked that aspect to the story.  This book is an enjoyable way to spend an afternoon.  The chapters are short and the print easy to read so the story quickly passes.  I also enjoyed the author’s note, explaining some historical facts about things/people in the story.  Book three is already in the works and the first chapter is included at the end to whet readers’ appetites!

My rating is 4 stars.