Dani Pettrey's: Cold Shot

Title:  Cold Shot (Chesapeake Valor #1)

Author:  Dani Pettrey

Pages:  336

Year:  2016

Publisher:  Bethany House

Wow!  What an exciting start to this great new suspense series by Dani Pettrey!  Griffin McCray is a former sniper with the Baltimore Police Department SWAT team, but now is serving as a park ranger at Gettysburg.  He is trying to forget a hostage situation a few years ago that he was involved in that went bad.  He holds himself responsible for the outcome and is still struggling with guilt.  While out on patrol in the park he interrupts a couple of men digging for Civil War artifacts.  They make a grisly discovery.  Griffin calls in Finley Scott a forensic anthropologist to investigate.

Finley Scott is a forensic pathologist who does her job to seek justice for those victims who can no longer gain it for themselves.  She is also struggling with fear from a prior case that went wrong causing her to be abducted by a psychopathic killer.  She has trouble trusting and has panic attacks.  A grumpy park ranger is not her cup of tea, but she wants to find a murderer.  She and Griffin work together using their unique skill sets to uncover much more than a murder.  As attempts are made on their lives, Griffin vows not to let Finley get hurt.  His protective nature comes into play and soon they are spending lots of time together.  Finley discovers there is much more to Griffin than she thought.

Boy, this is one that will hold your attention from beginning to end with great suspense, tension and excitement!  I loved that the main characters as well as their friends lived their faith daily and weren’t ashamed of being Christians.  They prayed together and individually for God’s protection, guidance and wisdom.  I’m already looking forward to book two in the series and watching the characters develop.  I very much enjoyed Dani’s Alaskan Courage series and this new series has started out really well.  This is definitely one that is not to be missed!

My rating is 5 stars.