The Prophetess

Pages:  368

Year: 2016

Publisher:  Revell

My rating is 5 stars.

If you have ever read the book of Judges in the Old Testament, you would notice that the name of one of the judges was Deborah.  Readers can learn what Scripture says about her in Judges Chapters four and five.  Much is left to the imagination of the author and readers when it comes to Deborah.  In that period of Israel’s history, we learn how the Lord would raise a judge to lead His people, and then shortly after the death of that judge we see Israel quickly turning away from God.  In fact, one of the recurring phrases in Judges is “each man did what was right in his own eyes.”

Deborah sure bore her responsibility with faithfulness, though I am sure at times it was a burden.  Like any leader, some cases brought before her were easily settled while others were not.  In the novel, Deborah learned the Law of Moses and that was the standard of right and wrong; it brought wisdom to her decisions in the cases brought before her.

Deborah seems to me to be a woman whose heart wanted to do what brought God glory.  The frustration was in that she could not make or choose for others whether they would wholeheartedly follow God or a false god.  In the novel, she marries, raises children and leads Israel in war to bring about the end of an evil man, king and regime set against Israel.

I quickly became engrossed in the story of a woman who lived long ago in ancient Israel.  She is a heroine to me as she listened and waited for God to show her His will.  The way the author portrays her reminds us she was human; therefore, she made mistakes and had to learn from them like anyone else.  Our humanness sure reminds us that no matter what gifting we have been given it is for God’s glory and not our own.  There is no depending on the flesh, but total dependency on the Lord and the truth of His Word.