Hannah's Choice

Title:  Hannah’s Choice (Journey to Pleasant Prairie #1)

Author:  Jan Drexler

Pages:  400

Year:  2016

Publisher:  Revell

My rating is 4 stars.

Hannah’s Choice is a riveting story of an Amish family named Yoder who find they are becoming a part of a smaller community.  Neighbors are no longer part of the Amish community but Quaker, Mennonite and Brethren to name a few.  The year is 1842 and slaves are coming north to escape their masters though some are captured and returned back to the south by bounty hunters.

The Yoders are approached to move to new land where a bigger Amish community is starting along with more land available at low prices.  Hannah is the oldest and she tends to carry more on her shoulders, especially when her mother gets depressed and is unable to function or care for her other children.  Hannah’s heart is torn between two suitors, one who is Mennonite but she has known since they were children while the other is a young man new to the area.

Throughout the book I was captivated by the desire to learn which young man, if either, Hannah would choose.  I enjoyed the heart and soul of the book as depicted in the ways characters made wise and foolish choices.  The timeframe is when diseases could easily take a life as not, plus I enjoyed the way marriage is depicted as going through life together whatever may come.

In the Fall of this year, book two of this series will be released and I cannot wait to read and see what has occurred with the characters I met in the first book.  In our day when things are massed produced I love reading books where trades were handed down from father to son.  I enjoyed reading about the family devotions led by the father after dinner each evening.  The tension in the story was whether aiding the escaped slaves was going against God’s Word or not doing anything was the way to live.

The Amish community is not any better or worse as they are people too, so please don’t look at their lives as being better than yours.  Their life is different and having visited some Amish communities I love the atmosphere and the work of their hands.  Yet, I love where God has me and I enjoy stories of characters of faith.  I hope you will enjoy Hannah’s Choice before the sequel is released in the fall; I did!