Shadowed in Silk (Twilight of the British Raj #1)

Title:  Shadowed in Silk

Author:  Christine Lindsay

Pages:  276

Year:  2011

Publisher:  WhiteFire Publishing

My rating is 5+ stars.

There are many writers who share with readers tales of wonder, awe, heartache and hope.  Some authors even include a deep thread of God, faith, hope and a host of other believing themes throughout a fictional tale.  Here we are confronted with a very unique work that speaks of historical events and people along with imaginary ones with a bold theme of redemption from the first to the last page.

The story takes place in India during a time of rebellion against British rule and of many faiths existing together.  A collision between various tribes bound together to fight against the British in their land will keep you up reading for hours.  The various twists, turns of intrigue, spies, social outcasts, and the wall between the Indians and British with so many unspoken rules about keeping themselves separate from the people of India was very interesting to read about.  The main female character is Abby who is married with a young son named Cam now returning to India to be reunited with her husband.

When she is finally with her husband, who is in the British army, all sorts of trials are just about to throw Abby into a tailspin as life doesn’t play out as she had hoped.  Her husband Nick is a ruthless chap whose life is out of control and he basically treats Abby like a showpiece not as a wife.  Nick also doesn’t seem to want to get to know the son he has never met till now and avoids him at all costs.  However Abby is no longer the woman he married, she has changed and when she stands up to protect and hopefully see her marriage healed, life literally comes apart.

Readers will learn of India’s history under British rule and how they were viewed or treated.  There are woman who have been disowned by their families for a variety of reasons and in that pain some are drawn to Christ.  You’ll read about evil men who care only about what they can obtain in this life no matter the cost in order to broaden the division between the tribes and Britain.  You’ll meet those who want to bring healing to hurting hearts as well as those who are nefarious to say the least.  Above all, no matter what evil and darkness is trying to do between various people, God takes them in His hands and shows them redemption.  He restores them from the inside out, and in time even while some of the disastrous events will not be forgotten, neither will the restoration of hope be dimmed!