Irene Hannon's new Novel: Thin Ice

Title:  Thin Ice (Men of Valor #2)

Author:  Irene Hannon

Pages:  394

Year:  2016

Publisher:  Revell

Lance MacGregor is a rookie FBI agent assigned his first case.  He has joined the FBI after retiring from the Special Forces.  His first case is a possible kidnapping of a woman named Ginny Reed.  The woman’s sister, Christy Reed, received a letter from her sister dated two months after her death.  Then she receives another and another.  Lance must investigate to find out if this is in fact a kidnapping or a cruel hoax.  He also has moved to the same town as his older brother Mac, so he is adjusting to a new city, a new job and his first case.  He has strayed from his relationship with God, but with Christy’s encouragement renews his faith.  He also learns of a very serious accident involving his younger brother and rushes to the hospital 900 miles away where he has been transferred.  Lance and Christy immediately feel a spark between them, but agree they must keep things professional until Christy’s case is solved.

Christy Reed is a former Olympic figure skating team member, who in the span of nine months lost her parents in a car accident and then a few months later she lost her sister in a house fire.  Then she receives a letter in her sister’s handwriting two months after her alleged death.  The letter warns her not to contact the authorities, but Christy knows she is out of her depth.  She discreetly contacts the FBI and meets the agent in charge of her case, Lance MacGregor.  She immediately feels confident in his abilities and that she can trust him.  As the case gets more mysteriously and threatening for Christy, the bond she feels toward Lance and vice versa strengthens.  Can this bond outlast a killer out for his next victim, which just happens to be Christy?

The pace of this story was quick and kept me turning the pages quickly to find out what was going to happen next.  There was suspense, mystery, romance, grief, and tension throughout the story.  The faith these two main characters display, especially Christy after enduring so much loss in her life, made the story so enjoyable for me.  I thought the criminal’s character very realistic and believable.  I can’t wait for Finn’s story in book three of the series!

My rating is 5 stars.