A Splash of Substance

Title:  A Splash of Substance (A Taste of Romance Book #1)

Author:  Elizabeth Maddrey

Pages:  278

Year:  2015

Publisher:   Janotima Books

My rating is 4 stars.

A Splash of Substance has two sequels; the first is titled A Pinch of Promise which focuses on Jackson’s roommate named Bed.  The third book is A Dash of Daring whose main character is Zach Wilson who is the other roommate of Jackson’s in the Washington, D. C. area.  The first novel starts with introducing the audience to the two main characters along with their jobs.  The lead female is Paige who is attempting to start a catering business from the ground up with food that is quite unique.  Jackson is the lead male who is an aide to a senator in Washington.

At first, I wasn’t quite sure I would like the tale, but the further along I went in the story the more I saw the depth to what the author was weaving together.  There is romance, care for what God has created, politics and above all listening for God’s voice.  I enjoyed following the two main characters as they wrestled with daily life issues like roommates and friendships, while bonding as friends.  Then different experiences start to test their relationship.

I cannot imagine working in the political scene with all the various issues and personalities.  Plus the multifaceted demands made on peoples’ time.  For a Christian it is like standing on the frontline of a war.  The novel reflects how hard and the cost that it brings to stay true to the Biblical convictions one has and living them daily.  I knew as soon as I was done I wanted to read the remaining stories in the series to see how it is brought to conclusion.  So join me as we explore the fictional characters lives along with the issues they must face in living out their faith without compromise!