At Love's Bidding

Pages:  352

Year:  2015

Publisher:  Bethany

My rating is 5+ stars.

What a wonderfully entertaining and heart-touching work of fiction!  There are several characters that bring a unique personality to the story which brings climatic moments for the reader.  First, there is a woman named Miranda who helps run the family auction house in Boston. What brings them together is a mistake at the auction house regarding a painting that now has disappeared.

The small town in Missouri named Pine Gap where Miranda shows up with her grandfather whose health and state of mind seems to be in decline.  Wyatt is Isaac’s adopted brother and his families’ experiences are what bring a drastic change many times over in Wyatt’s life.  Isaac is the son of the parents who adopted Wyatt; unfortunately he was always compared to Wyatt in a way that made Isaac feel unloved.

The town of Pine Gap holds a variety of characters that seek to help the people in the towns eking out a daily living.  I enjoyed the parts of the plot line that caused me to chuckle along with rising tension between Wyatt and Miranda’s growing attraction framed against a backdrop of mystery.  Boston in the book sure had a ranking in society that would take courage to rise above.

Regina Jennings has written a tale that shows the differences words can mean, depending on where one resided at the time as well as how Miranda’s grandfather thought that since he could run an antique auction house it couldn’t be hard to run a cattle auction.  Two themes struck me as I read the book:  One was caring for the grandfather with gentleness and respect even though he was slowly losing memories along with some personality changes.  Second was the importance of the character of a person and not their station in life or their finances.  Above all was the theme that God is a loving God who cares for his children always even when one cannot easily see His hand.

I started this book late at night and remained reading until I finished it.  I was hooked from the first page, so be careful when you start the book in case you have to arise early the next morning!