The Third Target

Title:  The Third Target (A J. B. Collins Novel)

Author:  Joel Rosenberg

Pages:  448

Year:  2015

Publisher:  Tyndale

My rating is 5+ stars.

I knew that before I read the latest Joel Rosenberg installment in the J. B. Collins series, The First Hostage, I had to reread The Third Target.  While it is true that part of the reason for doing so was due to the fact I read tons of books a year, it is equally true that the story inside this series is multilayered.  The action and tension in the book are unending while readers also try to figure out if there is someone on either side of those for good or evil who may not be who they appear to be at first glance.

1. B. Collins is a journalist who has an insatiable thirst for adventure. He is attempting to run away from facing his lack of a spiritual walk with the Lord. J. B. learned a lot of his craft as a journalist in the Middle East at his grandfather’s knee.  Times now are more dangerous than ever and there are those who don’t want J. B. revealing what he learns to the world.  Why?  Evil men wish to attack their targets unaware and therefore unprepared.

If memory serves me correctly, one reason Rosenberg is writing the series is to inform people via fiction of events that are a touch of the reality he sees and knows.  Rosenberg realizes he can reach many more people with the truth of current events and the gospel through stories rather than in a lecture format.  For me, it is easier to read and learn than to listen; I am not an audio learner.

Both The Third Target and its sequel The First Hostage are inextricably connected and need to be read in order.  The Third Target ends on cliffhanger that caught me off guard the first time I read the book.  Now I am ready to delve into The First Hostage to once again see how J. B. Collins is not just following a story, but is also part of the story in the articles he is writing.  Plus I want to see if J. B. is yet at a point where he sees that without Jesus Christ he isn’t ready for eternity.  So grab something warm to drink, climb under a blanket and lose yourself in the adventure which is unlike any adventure you have ever been on before!