The Wedding Chapel

Pages:  384

Year:  2015

Publisher:  Zondervan

My rating is 4 stars.

The Wedding Chapel novel is a very honest, impressive and transparent story of how secrets can be very disruptive to a family for years.  However, that isn’t the whole story as readers will enjoy how the characters realize that to move forward from their brokenness to wholeness can happen only when they surrender everything to the Lord.  The characters have to be willing to let go of pain, lies, anger, false beliefs and more in order to be fully embraced by God’s truth.

At first, the novel started slow for me.  It was hard to understand why so many thought it was wonderful.  Yet, there was a sense for me that I was missing something or I had yet to discover what made the book enjoyed by others.  So I continued to read how two sisters weren’t close because one let her past consume her with so much pain from her life growing up that it turned into disillusioned memories.  Those memories kept her living only for herself and competing with her sister for a man’s love at all costs.

Part of the story was how a young man was rejected by his birth father after losing his mother and then finding himself in the foster care system.  This male character had both good and bad memories that he lived by.  When he got married, his assumptions were staring him in the face.  It was at that moment he had to choose which fork in the road he was going to travel down.

I haven’t named which of the fictional characters did what because that is part of the novel which draws reader’s attention.  When I reached the conclusion, the author didn’t just put a pretty bow on it and wrap up the tale all nice and neat.  There was rawness in the story to remind us that redemption, forgiveness, and restoration are work and take time.  Also, some of the closure from the past that was negative wasn’t able to happen, and readers will understand why as they read.  There is truth in that some people live without being able to confront a person about the actions or words they said, so how does one move forward without the baggage of the past?

All I can say is I enjoyed reading The Wedding Chapel and becoming familiar with the characters, their lives, hearts, tears, joy and faith.  This is a well-written, thought-provoking, and enjoyable with short chapters to help the story move at a fast clip sometimes alternating the current events with flashbacks into the past.