Catch of a Lifetime

Pages:  230

Year:  2015

Publisher:  Bling! Romance

My rating is 5+ stars.

Maybe I liked it because it had college football as one of the subjects, and the story wrapped around the game or could it be I was pulled in by the characters and somehow knowing that for one of them a harsh experience was coming?  Perhaps it was just about a woman trying to move forward after a devasting loss, but finding herself still trapped in her heart.  No matter what it was that drew me to the book, I must say the novel is simply thrilling!

The two main characters are an offensive coach named Reed and Cassie who is a grad-assistant.  As I read, it became apparent just how much I didn’t know about what coaches and players have to do not just to prepare for a game, but to keep their grades up. The dedication it takes to be a player, coach, assistant or trainer requires lots of time and a love for the sport.

There is a budding romance between Reed and Cassie that is very realistically portrayed with sexual temptation, but making it about honoring the boundaries God created.  I am sure there are athletes who think and act like they are God’s gift to women or can take anything they want as we learned through some news sources.  However, there are also athletes who aren’t self-absorbed.  They want what is best for the team to succeed and some of them are Christians.

Both Cassie and Reed work hard to stay professional when they are on campus, following the rules and boundaries the athletic director has set forth.  Though fictional, these characters I think will speak to young people perhaps helping them to seek accountability partners to help them not cross the line or dishonor God.  When I opened the book, I couldn’t put it down.  I was captured from the start of the story, and the ending was very touching and well written.  I hope you read it so you will understand just how special and heartwarmingly written as well as entertaining is Catch of a Lifetime.

Please consider gifting this book to youths or college age people this holiday season.  I think a story like this will help many to stay close to God and decide before leaving for college how they will handle a relationship in a God honoring way!  Great work by author Candee Fick.  I hope to see another story from her in the near future!