Blame it on Mistletoe

Title: Blame it on the Mistletoe (Bright’s Pond Series)
Author: Joyce Magnin
Pages: 368
Year: 2011
Publisher: Abingdon
There are three other novels in the Bright’s Pond Series and the titles are: The Prayers of Agnes Sparrow, Griselda Takes Flight and Charlotte Figg Takes Over Paradise. The characters introduced in the first three novels continue in this fourth novel, Blame it on the Mistletoe. Griselda is a middle-aged, single woman who has lived in the same small town all her life and even still resides in the same house she grew up in. Come to think of it, Griselda’s life rarely has changed. Now, with her on-again, off-again high school sweetheart, Griselda feels unsure of marriage to Zeb because she has finally had time to herself instead of caring for her sister Agnes or someone else in the town.
With Christmas right around the corner, Zeb, after a wonderful Thanksgiving celebration with friends that Griselda helped make, pops the question to her again. This time the answer is “yes”! However, her flight instructor is after her affections as well, which really throws the future bride’s emotions in a loop. Throughout the novel, the reader will be enticed to read more as a mysterious little man is in the area affecting a change in the hearts and lives of the townsfolk, especially those residing in a nursing home.
Joyce Magnin writes a novel that really is unique in nature as it has mystery, a plethora of characters and an ending that will be a surprise and delight to the audience. The wonderful characteristic feel to this novel for me was the quirky personalities attached to the various residents of the Bright’s Pond community. These make-believe people are the “normal” kind of people one reads in a work of fiction, but definitely can be people that are real.
I loved how Griselda was created as someone who took on the cares of those around her and loved caring for them. Zeb owns the town café and is the sole master chef and owner of the diner. Rosie, who is a widowed woman, talented seamstress and is one who often speaks before thinking, but she is treasured by many of her neighbors. Many others in the book have one special quality that reminds me of most small towns and that is when a need is known most usually pitch in to help. Of course, the down side is that everyone knows each other’s business whether it is something good or bad.
Don’t miss enjoying the book! My rating is 4 stars.
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ . Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457