Murder at the Courthouse

Title:  Murder at the Courthouse (A Hidden Springs Mystery #1)

Author:  A.H. Gabhart

Pages:  321

Year:  2015

Publisher:  Revell

Michael Keane has returned to Hidden Springs, Kentucky after serving in Columbus on the police force.  Upon his return, he begins work as a deputy for the county sheriff.  He likes being back home in his own small town that was founded by his ancestors.  He hopes one day to raise his children here.  His Aunt Lindy still lives in the family home, but has assured him once he marries she will move out and into an apartment.  She strongly hints that she hopes that will be soon, with the right girl of course.

Then the town gossip stomps into the sheriff’s office, which is located in the courthouse, complaining of a drunken man sitting on the courthouse steps.  When Michael goes to investigate, he finds much more than he bargained for.  With an unidentified body found dead on the courthouse steps, rumors begin flying.  However, one person is hesitant to say much and soon pays a high price for silence.  Now, with two murders in this small town and no leads, Michael begins to look to the past, including his own, in order to ferret out any clues or leads so he can stop the killer before he/she strikes again.

This is a good start to the new genre of mystery for this author.  The story moved a little bit slow, but there is a great, suspense-filled scene toward the end of the book where readers find out the identity of the killer.  I really liked Aunt Lindy’s never give up attitude and her expecting God to work miracles.  She had complete faith that he would work a miracle in healing her nephew, and He did.  The character of Lester reminded me of Barney Fife from the old Andy Griffith television show, which made for a few laughs.  The world of small town politics and gossip is alive and well in this story.  I’m looking forward to the second book in the series to revisit the small town residents of Hidden Springs.

My rating is 4 stars.