The Alligator Man

Author:  James Sheehan

Pages:  448

Year:  2015

Publisher:  Center Street

Kevin Wylie is an attorney with a live-in girlfriend who seems to be constantly pushing him to further his career.  He finds out his boss is crooked and is fired the same day.  The next day he receives a phone call from his father’s girlfriend that he is dying from cancer and having surgery the next day.  He hasn’t heard a word from his father in 28 years, so he is shocked to hear from someone about him now.  He decides to travel back to where he spent the first eight years of his life with his parents before their divorce to see his father and get some answers.  While there, Kevin is given a chance to work with his father, who is also a lawyer, taking on a case that could make Kevin’s own law business a success if that is what he decides to do.

The other part of the story is about the investigation into the disappearance of a millionaire businessman who has recently made his home in the small Florida town of Gladestown.  He made a large chunk of his money by selling out the employees of one of his companies.  The company soon went bankrupt after he sold his large stock holdings, causing the company to close, everyone lost their jobs, their health insurance, their retirement savings and some even lost their lives.  So Roy Johnson is not a very well-liked man, has no real friends and lives a secluded life.  He goes for a walk one night near alligator-infested water and never returns.  His wife reports him missing and a few days later bits of his clothing and his wallet are found in the water.

From the back cover of the book, I thought this sounded like an intriguing mystery.  The mystery itself is interesting, but there was so much profanity and unnecessary sexual situations I couldn’t really get into the story or connect with the characters.  The sex isn’t rampant throughout the story, but it is there.  The foul language is pretty much throughout the book.  For me, these two issues were too much to overcome when rating this book.

My rating is 2 stars.