The Nanny Arrangement

Author:  Lily George

Pages:  283

Year:  2014

Publisher:  Harlequin Love Inspired Historical

Paul Holmes leads the life of a wealthy bachelor.  He is very much in control of his emotions and lives life on a rigid schedule.  He is not unkind, but expects his word to be law.  Now, his younger sister has died, leaving behind her 2-year-old daughter.  As the eldest male in the family as well as feeling a healthy dose of guilt over his sister’s past, Paul takes on the responsibility of his niece.  He knows he is out of his element and hires a nursemaid in the form of his neighbor, Rebecca Siddons.  He gets more than he bargained for with Becky as she challenges him with regard to his lack of faith as well as his not wanting a familial relationship with his niece.  She is willing to stand up to him, so what will he do about it?

Becky Siddons works with her sister in a milliner’s shop.  Her sister is very controlling and when the position of nursemaid comes about, Becky leaps at the chance to what she believes will be freedom.  What doesn’t expect as she has no experience with children is a stubborn, willful child who throws tantrums and an uncle who wants nothing to do with his niece.  Becky will just see about that!  She grows to love little Juliet, but draws the line at romance with Paul.  She has given up on romance and will remain a spinster.  God has called her to be a nursemaid for Juliet not a wife for Paul, right?

While I liked the faith exhibited by Becky, I just really didn’t connect with her character in the story.  The plot was okay, but not very exciting.  There was not a lot of action either.  Paul’s transformation was neat to see, but again I didn’t connect with his character either.  Overall, this was an average story.

My rating is 3 stars.