The Bones Will Speak (Gwen Marcey #2)

Title:  The Bones Will Speak (Gwen Marcey #2)

Author:  Carrie Stuart Parks

Pages:  327

Year:  2015

Publisher:  Thomas Nelson

Gwen Marcey is back to stretching every dollar and looking for a job as the county law enforcement agency jobs have dried up.  She discovers another forensic artist has taken all the jobs and Gwen is hot under the collar over that!  She lets her dog out for a walk and he brings back a grisly trophy.  The next day, Gwen tries to find out where he made his find and he leads her to a nearby abandoned farmhouse where she has another surprise.  In the midst of working the scene, Gwen is forced to give over her work to her rival as his agency has jurisdiction.  Now, Gwen is out of a job again.  However, she has seen a pattern of two crime scenes and begins her own investigation.

In addition to trying to find a killer, her ex-husband makes a sudden announcement that catches Gwen off guard.  Gwen best friend, Beth, helps her research clues into a religious group that might be where the killer got his start.  With local law enforcement running in short supply due to a flu epidemic, Gwen is on her own as far as protection is concerned and boy does she get into some trouble!

I just loved the way the author wove in relevant scripture passages from the Bible in circumstances where they could be used effectively.  I also admire Gwen’s grit and determination and unwillingness to give up.  I also liked the very real feelings of anger and unwillingness to forgive her ex-husband.  She knows that in her heart she must forgive for her sake, but it doesn’t make it any easier.  I find it fascinating to read about the forensic artistic aspect of the story and how it provides clues and gives Gwen direction to investigate.  This is just a stellar series that is not to be missed.  Pick up the first book in the series, A Cry from the Dust to get the background of Gwen Marcey as well as a great suspense-filled mystery, and then you’ll be ready to sink your teeth into this second book.  I can’t wait for the next book in the series.  Excellent job Carrie and please keep writing!!

My rating is 5 stars.