A House Divided

Author:  Robert Whitlow

Pages: 464

Year:  2015

Publisher:  Thomas Nelson

My rating is 5+ out of 5 stars.

A tale is shared with readers about a family entwined with a painful past while working in the same career field as lawyers.  The patriarch of the family, Corbin, has not only been practicing law for decades but he has been an alcoholic too.  The daughter, Roxie, is a brilliant lawyer who withstands some brutal work challenges as she begins seeing a young man named Peter.  The son, Ray, is married to Cindy with a boy named Billy who is simply the apple of his grandfather’s eye.

Further into the work of fiction each of the three main characters begins going through a transformation from the inside out brought about by various scary and life-changing events.  What I found compelling in the book most was the division in the family and yet the one godly woman who prayed for a change of heart, but didn’t live to see the results of her prayers.  The situation is a lot like what we can read in the Bible of those who believed without seeing the promise fulfilled.  Prayer is like that, at least to me, praying and waiting for the fulfillment.

The biggest change for a character is Corbin followed up by Roxie with a major case in the small town of Alto that divided the town, causing some to distance themselves from Corbin and his family.  I love legal thrillers and while this isn’t mainly about the law, it draws the heart of readers in by the effects of what a company is pouring down the drain the town gets its water from.

The theme of faith starts out like a mustard seed, but builds the further along in the novel as the audience progresses.  The hope of restoration for a family and the town really touched the heart, but what triggered my heart most was the ending of pure genius crafted by the author.  The hope too that those who suffer addiction can, in fact, be released from those bonds is, I believe, true.  The author also paints the affects of abuse and sometimes the time and work it takes after being free of addiction before others truly trust the offender again.

I hope you enjoy the work Robert Whitlow shares with us in A Divided House.  It is sure to touch your heart, drawing you in to root for the underdog or perhaps get ticked at the arrogance of a certain lawyer or even the system.  Whatever you do the one truth you will walk away with is that hope might be dimmed or detained, but can never be totally put out!