Direct Hit

Title:  Direct Hit (The Blitz Detective #1)

Author:  Mike Hollow

Pages:  320

Year:  2015

Publisher:  Lion Fiction (Kregel Publications)

Inspector John Jago is in his forties and has been in his current occupation for a little more than twenty years.  He has a new partner that he is training, young Peter Cradock.  The year is 1940 and the war with Germany has accelerated.  The beginning of the bombing campaign enacted on London takes place in this story.  During one of the bombing raids, the inspector and his protégé are called to the scene of a murder.  They find identification on the body, but while waiting for the police surgeon to arrive at the scene, another bomb is launched landing directly on the crime scene, obliterating any evidence including the dead body!

As the inspector and his partner investigate the crime, asking questions of those who knew the victim, they uncover other criminal activities.  The road to justice for the victim is full of twists and turns and plenty of deception.  Another murder is committed by one of their prime suspects in the first murder, so they must rethink their line of inquiry.  Of course, there is much more going on than meets the eye with many more questions than answers.   Inspector Jago has much experience and advice to impart to detective Cradock, who views things a bit more simply the Jago.  Is Cradock naïve or is Jago just too cynical?  However, the two work well together, complementing each other while investigating crime.

I so enjoyed this new entry into the world of British mysteries!  The writing was detailed and the plot interesting.  I enjoyed the setting of London at the beginning of WWII.  The main character of Inspector Jago is haunted by his past experience of fighting in WWI.  His memories don’t hinder his work, but they are ever present in his mind as he experiences the blitz of German bomber planes shelling London repeatedly.  His belief or unbelief in God is briefly discussed in this story and maybe this theme will be developed more in future writings.  I’m a fan of British mysteries and this is one I definitely recommend.  I can’t wait for the next book!

My rating is 5 stars.