Masterpiece Marriage

Title:  Masterpiece Marriage

Author:  Gina Weldon

Pages:  224 (including discussion questions and excerpt from the next book in the series)

Year:  2014

Publisher:  Abingdon Press

This book in the Quilts of Love series is set in 1891 and takes place mostly in the city of Belle Haven, Virginia.  The two main characters are Zenus Dane and Mary Varrs.  They both like routine, schedules and doing things their way, which they feel is the correct way.  However, Zenus says repeatedly that he can make adjustments and is more flexible now.  Mary Varrs fails to see the evidence of this adjustability.  Zenus is the owner of a textile mill in Philadelphia that has been flooded.  All his fabric has been ruined in his eyes until he decides to cut the fabric up and sell the scraps with a design as a quilt kit.  The only fly in the ointment is he needs to get his nationally famous quilter aunt to create an original design for him.  He travels Belle Haven to get what he thinks he wants.

Mary Varrs is in Belle Haven to complete her study of tomatoes.  She is a dedicated botanist applying for a job as a research assistant at the University of Virginia, one of the few to offer college positions to women.  In order to get her research completed, she must submit illustrations of the various tomato plants in her study in different stages of growth.  Her only problem is she is a terrible illustrator.  She receives an invitation to her next door neighbor’s quilting bee and notices a perfect drawing on the outside.  Might her neighbor be an illustrator who would draw her tomato plants for her?  Her neighbor agrees to do her illustrations in exchange for Mary attending the two-week long quilting bee at her home.  Mary is in frequent contact with Zenus Dane and they both are vying for what they want from Zenus’ aunt.  Who will prevail?

I loved this book!  The friction between the two main characters was great as was there equally appalling (to themselves) revelation that they had fallen in love with each other.  No one could be more ill-suited for them than the other.  I plan to read more books from this author as she is one of my new favorites!  This is a quick read when you’re beside the pool or sitting outside enjoying a summer day.  You won’t be sorry you took the time to read this refreshing romance!

My rating is 5 stars out of 5.