Balm of Gilead

Title:  Balm of Gilead (Healing Grace #3)

Author:  Adina Senft

Pages:  320

Year:  2015

Publisher:  FaithWords

My rating is 5 stars out of 5.

Each novel in the series, Herb of Grace, Keys of Heaven and the final one Balm of Gilead are stupendous!  The main character is Sarah Yoder who is widowed when her husband is trampled by a bull he kept on their farm.  Now Sarah is on a journey of healing and discovery of what gifts the Lord has given to her and how that impacts the family.

In the final book, Sarah continues to learn healing by using herbs.  A man has moved into an Amish home that was bequeathed to him by his aunt and it is just over a small hill by Sarah’s home.  The only problem is Henry had left the Amish ways behind years ago, but his needs put Sarah in his path repeatedly.  The fun in reading the story is how each character discovers who they are which then must be followed by choosing to be Amish or become English.

While readers could read the novel by itself and for sure enjoy the tale, it is much more entertaining when read in sequence.  One interesting point in the story was the telling of why shunning occurs and the fruit it hopes to produce.  Following Sarah’s life through her character’s eyes and hearing her prayers, which included prayers of repentance, made her seem lifelike.

I also liked how Sarah’s garden reflected a unique design similar to quilts made by many people today. There is romance in the books, but also some suspense-filled moments that will grab your heart and will keep a nose in the book for many hours!  I highly recommend audiences of all ages spend time reading the author’s story that she shares for us to enjoy as well as share with other people!